You're not going to believe what they're saying about the Matthew Shepard Act, S.909.
Yesterday, far right groups launched their latest attacks: action alerts and online videos with outrageously false claims that the Matthew Shepard Act would "give legally protected status to pedophiles."
Senate offices are being blasted with calls trying to pawn off these ridiculous lies and scare senators.
We need you to call your senators to make sure that they are hearing from fair-minded people like you.
It takes about 45 seconds to call each one of your senators – and each one of them needs to hear from you today. So set yourself a reminder on your computer. Make the call on your way to lunch. Or stop reading this and do it right now. Whatever you do, make sure to CALL YOUR SENATORS TODAY.
If you've never called Congress, let me assure you, it's easy.
- Before 5 p.m. ET, call Sen. Kyl at (202) 224-4521 and Sen. McCain at (202) 224-2235.
- Most likely, one of your senator's interns will answer and ask where you're calling from and why. You're calling to urge the Senator to support the Matthew Shepard Act (S. 909). Most calls end right there. But if you like, you can add:
- Sexual Orientation is already defined in Federal law and clearly does not include any of the criminal acts right wing groups are claiming it does.
- In fact, hate crimes against lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people are on the rise. One out of every six hate crimes is because of the victim's sexual orientation.
- Hate crimes have more than one victim. They are intended to create an atmosphere of fear and terrorize entire communities.
We have the truth on our side – and we need you to speak the truth today to counter our opponents' outrageous lies. Please make your phone calls right now.
Then, please pass this email on to your friends and family.
Thank you for taking action.