Saturday, March 21, 2009

Much Ado About A Theater Review: By Jack Melichar

The Arizona Company presents SOMEBODY/NOBODY, a world premier comedy by Jane Martin.

I felt that act 1 dragged somewhat and that Jessica Martin, who played Loli, from Flatt Kansas(and was in Hollywood to find fame and fortune) over acted, and it was apparent, to me at least, that she was not in character. She was Jessica Martin. And would somebody please tell actresses that there is a difference between projecting and shouting?

At the close of act 1, I believed I would have the first play put on by ATC that I could have fun writing about – that it was awful and should be avoided. However, by act 2. The play came together and was, in fact, very funny.

I must say that I recommend it wholeheartedly – particularly if you enjoy laughing.

As I said, Loli went to Hollywood to find fame and fortune. It was there she met Sheena Keena, a teen-idol. Sheena came to realize that there was a world beyond tinsel-town and was beginning to yearn fo something more. Did either get that which they desired? Go to the play and find out. My lips are sealed.

SOMEBODY/NOBODY will be playing at the Temple of Music and Arts on Scott Ave. until March 28. Call (520) 622-2823 for ticket information. It's a play you will enjoy. Coming next, KING HENRY V.

"A celebrity is one who is known to many persons he is glad he doesn't know." H.L. Mencken.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree, Jessica Martin embarrassingly over acted a shouting version what I can only imagine to be her mousy self.
By the end, Tavares saved it for me. Overall, a pretty good show, but I will admit that Jane Martin seems to be losing a little bit of her edge. Or perhaps, the times are just changing and the Jory-Martin era is over.