Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Gallagher: Protection of gay rights could lead to pedophiles adopting young children.

(From Think Progress.)

On his radio show August 19, right-wing talker Mike Gallagher responded to the California Supreme Court’s decision to bar “doctors from invoking their religious beliefs as a reason to deny treatment to gays and lesbians.” Gallagher agreed with a caller who wondered if the ruling meant “pedophiles could adopt”:

gallagher.jpg

DAVID: The question I had told your screener, I said, if I’m understanding, California said because of sexual orientation, they can’t deny you service, so, does that mean pedophiles could adopt?

GALLAGHER: Well that’s just, that’s a great question. I mean, if you work in an adoption agency and a guy comes in saying, “I like little girls and I want to adopt a nine-year old girl and I’m going to probably sleep with her while I’m at it,” could the adoption agency person say, “well, excuse me, my religious beliefs find that, lead me to find that repugnant, I’m not going to do it.” Can he then turn around and sue the adoption agency and win like the lesbian did?

Listen here:

Gallagher and his caller’s claims are ridiculous. Sexual contact with a minor under the age of 18 is illegal in California. In fact, California passed the “toughest” sex offender law in the nation in 2006. No matter how much the right wing tries to insist upon it, being gay is not the equivalent of being a pedophile.


Mike Gallagher is on the radio on KQTH. Let the management of the station know how you feel about such comments.

Main Office Line: (520) 795-1490
Call-In Line: (520) 880-1041

Program Director: Andrew Lee
andrewlee@journalbroadcastgroup.com

Operations Manager: Darla Thomas
dthomas@journalbroadcastgroup.com


Sales Manager: Jennifer Nunn
jnunn@journalbroadcastgroup.com

Marketing/Promotions Director: Jessica King
jeking@journalbroadcastgroup.com

General Manager: Julie Brinks
jbrinks@journalbroadcastgroup.com

No comments: